View Single Post
Old January 17, 2012, 08:50 PM   #100
MLeake

A few thoughts, Cycrops:

1a) If you've gone over safety with your wife, then the odds are she would not harm herself or the kids with the 92. I can see nothing gained by denying her access until she gets some live fire training. In the event something did go bump in the day, while you were out, you would prefer her not to have the option of using the weapon? Does that really make any kind of sense to you?

1b) Is it really even your decision to make? Is this your wife or your child?

You may not realize it, but some of those arguments you are making come across as chauvinist/condescending. That may not be your intention, but I can't imagine telling my wife "I will not let you touch the ______ gun until you train to my standards."

1c) If you are really concerned for her safety, and you really think she should not handle a gun until she gets live fire training, then you babysit the kids tomorrow and let her go meet an instructor at the range. You seem to feel you know enough about the gun to be safe, and you're the man... so let the woman get herself equalized a bit.

1d) Some guys who try to teach women to shoot.... Let's just say I had to intercede quickly the other day at the range, because one guy didn't notice his trainee was crossing her support hand thumb behind the slide of the 1911 he was going to teach her with... And he couldn't hit a B-27 at 10 yards, using a laser... It took me about three minutes with her, and (although granted it was at the 5 yd line) she had put five rounds in the X ring, and one just under the X in the 10 ring, using 158gr SWC .38 Special out of my 3" S&W 65. She went from being scared of guns, to debating between a S&W 60 or an SP101.

(Edit: She and her husband were out of time, so she had to quit after six rounds fired. Most of the time I spent with her involved getting her to adjust her grip, switch to a Chapman so bone structure would make up for poor arm strength, get her feet to shoulder width, bend her knees, shift body weight forward to absorb recoil, and focus on the front sight. Oh, yeah, I also showed her how I set up my initial aim with my feet and body, kind of like one sets up a shot in tennis or racquetball, so all the arms and hands have to do is fine tune. Really took about three minutes...)

A lot of guys think they can shoot, and a lot of guys think they can teach... and many of them are wrong, on both counts.

2) The 92 can not be carried cocked and locked, a la the 1911. It can be carried with a round chambered and the hammer down, safety on; round chambered and hammer down, safety off; round not chambered, hammer down, safety on or off. In theory, you could carry it round chambered and hammer cocked, but you could not engage the safety, as engagement of the safety also de-cocks the 92.

You may be thinking of the HK USP line, or the CZ75. (Although the CZ's that can be carried cocked and locked don't have de-cockers, and one has to lower the hammer with one's thumb under the hammer, until it reaches half-cock, to carry chambered in DA mode.)

3) A true "safe" will cost in the thousands of dollars. However, you can get a steel lock-box, with key or three-digit combo lock, and a cable for securing to heavy furniture, for around $30. If you want one of those, it's pretty easy to set aside the money to get one. You can get them at the LGS or sporting goods store, but you can also get them on amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/GunVault-NV300...d_sim_sbs_sg_1

http://www.amazon.com/GunVault-NV200...d_sim_sbs_sg_2

Page generated in 0.03747 seconds with 8 queries