View Single Post
Old July 8, 2013, 12:08 AM   #33
SHE3PDOG

Quote:
That actually surprises me quite a bit. Gun safety is drummed into all Marines in boot camp. I thought all Marines were fairly competent with firearm safety and fairly proficient with their weapons.

Having been active duty infantry, I'm sure I have a somewhat skewed view (pretty much all you do in Marine infantry is deploy or train for your next deployment; there were very few days in my four year enlistment that I didn't handle a weapon), but it was my understanding that non-infantry Marines did a fair amount of weapons training also?
Well, you have to remember that most Marines aren't 03xx (infantry). While a lot of people do help out while deployed, or do some extra training in pre-deployment work ups, most don't handle firearms in their every day jobs. Any military training outside of qualification week is really not up to the Marine; it is up to the command.

Of course, everyone has the option to spend their free time getting civilian marksmanship training, but a lot of people aren't interested in that. I also find it a little funny when people say something like, "My Marine friend said..." or "My friend in the Army said...". As strange as it may seem to some, a lot of military members just simply aren't "gun guys", and they're opinion is not the gold standard.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms

Page generated in 0.02276 seconds with 8 queries