View Single Post
Old January 2, 2013, 01:03 AM   #15
Romeo 33 Delta

Carcanos remain one of my favorite Milsurp rifles regardless of caliber. If the rifle is in good mechanical order and has a good barrel it can become a very accurate and fun rifle ... if you reload for it properly and use a proper sight picture. Of my 6.5s (M-1891 Rifle, M-1938 Short Rifle, M-1941 Rifle, M-91/38 TS Carbine and M-91/38 Cav Carbine), 3 of them like a .264" bullet, while the other 2 like a .268" bullet. Fortunately, Hornady has both available in their 160gr RNSP. A beautiful bullet ... flat base, with long, paralllel sides!

I also shoot a number of 7.35s and even my 8mm. For the 8mm, I use load data for my M1888 Commission Rifle and it is NOT nasty to shoot.

Again, fine rifles ... just have their own learning curve. Like, burying the front sight blade into the BOTTOM of the rear sight and aim for the "belt" on your target ... you will hit the chest. That's just they way the Italians did it.

Most of the snotty comments about Carcanos come from: Not-Invented-Here Syndrome ... Italian Junk , Ignorance ... using "crappy" surplus ammo ... Using the wrong sized bullet ... using the wrong sight picture ... expecting a "battle rifle" to be a "target rifle". The same applies to French and Japanese and Russian rifles. Each/all "junk" in some folks' minds (NOT mine).

I learned about bullets back decades ago when I bought a copy of Smith's: RIFLES. An amazing book, far ahead of its time. It listed the ACTUAL bullet diameters and weights of most of the military rifle calibers the world over. That's where I first came to understand that 6.5mm did not always mean it was .264" diameter as wel know it to be. It might be .262" ... or .266" ... or even .268"! WOW! Who knew?

Page generated in 0.04494 seconds with 8 queries