View Single Post
Old August 25, 2012, 06:57 PM   #12
Nathan

OK, here is where I think I need to clarify my needs and issues some. . .

I want clean burning because in a match fitted auto, unburnt powder gets everywhere and is big enough to slow the gun down and jam.. For my typical near max load, is this an issue with Unique? It is not an issue with AA#5. I get the link. Most of those guys are revolver shooters and the like. Clean is less important outside of the semi-auto discussion.

Universal looks OK, but is not a good velocity performer in most of my loads and a little less "universal" than Unique!

The best point I've seen so far is that even though Unique can be had for $15 /lb and the AA#5 is $17 /lb. $2 over ~ 1000 rounds of pistol ammo, just isn't that much!

I know AA#5 meters very well, is accurate in my guns and gives good velocities in accurate loads. Oh yea and no more load development!

For all you Unique lovers, I too agree that this is a great powder. If I started there, I wouldn't be changing either! This is a good discussion though.

As requested. . .I'm interested in this response:

38 spcl - 130gr SWC, 125gr JHP max to +P velocities
357 mag - 125 gr JHP, 158gr JHP mid - high velocities, but not super important
40 S&W - 135gr JHP, 155gr JHP, 155 gr SWC mid - high velocities
45 ACP - 230gr JHP, 230gr LRN mid - high velocities
45 Colt - 265 gr SWC at 900 - 1100 fps

I say higher velocities, but for max loads, I also have some Longshot loads which are working out well.

Last edited by Nathan; August 25, 2012 at 07:05 PM.

Page generated in 0.02445 seconds with 8 queries