Thread: Hog Hunting
View Single Post
Old May 5, 2011, 10:07 AM   #16
rickyrick

In my area, Heavy Mesquite, Any carbine .223 or above should work for you....The longest pig shots That i can possibly take is near the entrance to the ranch which is 120 yds in the most open part, surprisingly this is where i get most of my pigs. The distance has never been over 50
I have sat on the round bales several times and waited for them to come walking down the Private entry road, single file.
if I wait long enough they can get as close as 10-20 feet.
They make enough noise when traveling in groups like that they don't know I'm there.

but i digress LOL...auto loader is not completely necessary but handy, so whatever you feel confident in shooting thats in your budget go for it...
...If you're in a situation where you must shoot near livestock I caution against a rifle and bullet combo That exits...optics are a must at night A cheapy Tasco will do fine 4x should be all you need.

I use a mini14 With varmint class bullets as my exclusive nighttime hog gun, as they are quite nasty at the close ranges, I was surprised at the effectiveness.

But this is all my particular situation yours may vary. The mini w/varmint bullets would not be doable at over 100yds I would guess.

Page generated in 0.03076 seconds with 8 queries