View Single Post
Old October 26, 2018, 11:05 AM   #84
FrankenMauser

Quote:
As to "silencers", they are a different matter than pistol braces in one sense, but similar in others. The crime is the "intent". If you "intend" to use the brace as a stock, then its a crime.
That is exactly the point I've been trying to get across.
It's good to see that someone else acknowledges such.

An SBR is an SBR. (Unless it's a Title 1 rifle. )
A pistol with a brace is a pistol.
A pistol with a brace, built that way to be used as an SBR, is an illegal SBR.
As such, the entire premise of this thread is advocating the construction and use of illegal SBRs.

Quote:
I don't know how that would work, if it would. First, the rifle is registered as an SBR, no matter how long the barrel it currently wears, it is a registered SBR.

Second, the gun I am referring to is a semi auto M1 Thompson, not an AR, and so, replacing the short barrel with a longer one to turn it back into a regular rifle (if legally possible??) is not a trivial matter of a couple of push pins and a new upper".
Return an SBR to 'Title 1' configuration and it is no longer an SBR or subject to NFA regulation (this is how guys take SBR lowers to prohibited states without actually breaking the law). Notify the ATF that it will permanently remain in Title 1 configuration, with a request to be removed from the registry, and it will no longer be a registered SBR. Once 'de-registered' and in Title 1 configuration, it is just another rifle and can be transferred like anything else.

I am/was aware of the barrel mounting method for the Thompson. To me, unscrewing a barrel and stabbing another one in is somewhat trivial (even if pressing on a new front sight is required).
But, I will admit that my perspective could be viewed as a bit 'skewed' by other gun owners: I have two barrel vises, a couple action wrenches, and various other useful tools on my workbench. I also NEVER sell or dispose of a take-off barrel any more, unless I believe I will never have another use for it - or I at least have another suitable substitute on hand. So, I would have still had the original 16.5" barrel (w/sight).

Page generated in 0.02872 seconds with 8 queries