View Single Post
Old September 5, 2018, 06:59 PM   #17
johnm1

Art - That was an interesting video/article. The ranch I hunt in and about in far southeast Arizona is on BLM land. Over the years I have become friends with the rancher and have learned that the BLM has rules about how long a herd can remain in any given pasture. I'm pretty sure you can lose your lease if you don't follow the rules. I'm pretty sure those rules don't exist on the state trust land. Again, I'm not a rancher. Not even close.

I'm having difficulty putting my head around the premise that the natural way was for large moving herds being the natural state. It appears that large moving herds can be the answer, but I wonder how much of the land was covered by those large/moving herds and for how long. I need to do some research on my own to better understand the history.

The rancher in SE Arizona spoke to me once about returning some of his pastures back to native grasses. Apparently what we have now is what you get after grazing they way we have for as long as we have. More creosote bushes and less grassy/small shrubs in between with more bare ground in between. I understand that creosote is natural for the area, but not in the 'density' that exists today. Returning the land to natural grasses is a significant investment on the ranchers part if you want the governments help. The rancher would have to keep all cattle off of the pasture for at least a year and I think probably two years. All the while still paying rent on the leased land. I wonder what the return would be though. I wonder if the BLM would be on board for the same tests that were in the video? There would be a lot of risk though. SE Arizona has been in a drought for so long and any given year could require feed to supplement the herd. And that just about kills the profit for that year.

Page generated in 0.03376 seconds with 8 queries