View Single Post
Old September 3, 2018, 12:54 PM   #1
johnm1

Honored but concerned

I am not sure if I should be more honored or concerned. A Little background. I’m a very poor dove Hunter so I hunt areas that don’t have a lot of hunters. Which also means there aren’t a lot of dove. It is my way of saving ammunition. But I like to get out. So I hunt some state trust land here in Arizona. It has been overgrazed for 100 years and I have no idea how it supports any wildlife at all. I have been surprised in this area to scare up two Deer previously. The area is sparsely populated with mostly shrubbery. The natural grasses were gone nearly a century ago. I think it is somewhat of a crime that the state has missed managed the land but that’s another story.

We had a storm last night and there was hardly a dove to be seen flying anywhere this morning. Throughout the morning I had heard foot falls less than a hundred yards to my South. As I walked to a new area the foot falls were not very far away. They were definitely of a larger animal. Possibly a badger or one of the large jack rabbits that inhabit this area. I decided to sit in the shade of a nearby shrub and see if I could wait what ever it was out. I took the time to unfold my stool and make myself comfortable. I sat for four or five minutes before I noticed something at my feet. Lo and behold it turns out it was a newborn fawn. I couldn’t resist and took the opportunity to take a few photographs. And backed out of the area 60 or 70 yards to take a short video. I then moved out of the area completely. But the overall time I was exposed to the newborn fawn was probably 6 to 7 minutes. Consider for over five of those minutes I did not know it was there. I then moved out of the area completely. The foot falls I heard had to be of the mother deer. I never saw her though I suspect she was less than 30 yards from where I was. I could hear every footstep she made from a good distance away. So I’m certain she didn’t run off. Plus the landscape is very low. And I would have been able to see her move if she were moving away.

Consider this is September 3rd. The video I took from 70 yards clearly shows that the fawn was just a few days old. It had difficulty walking. My real concern is that my presence might cause the mother to abandon her fawn.

When I initially noticed something at my feet I could see an ear. I assumed it was one of the Jack rabbits that inhabit the area.

I have had difficulties in the past posting pictures to any forum. So bear with me I don’t get this right on the first try.

We had a storm last night and I only saw one dove the entire morning. As long as I didn’t endanger the fawn I considere the morning a great success.

I am interested in the answer to two questions.

Did I in endanger the fawn just by me being there.

How in the world can a fawn be born 1 September? Consider the rut in far south Arizona often occurs in December and sometimes as late as January. But, this was just east of Phoenix.

Your opinions are welcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 72CD1296-896E-4C46-92D7-0CAFECC69094.jpeg (185.3 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpeg 33A0D893-7EB4-44A2-BFB5-77F13EAE24A1.jpeg (208.4 KB, 95 views)

Page generated in 0.03905 seconds with 9 queries