View Single Post
Old April 13, 2017, 07:00 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Looks to me like you have a real deal Springfield Sporter, one of 5000-6000 made in the 1920s and 1930s. Discontinued by the Armory so as to not have the government competing with new model commercial rifles from Winchester and Remington.
The star on the muzzle means the barrel was star gauged, measured in groove and land every inch of the barrel and meeting specifications.
The "P" is for Proof test, not prototype.
The SA/S.P.G. is a known Springfield Armory inspector's stamp, but not who.
A lot of those other stamps were made by men long dead for records long lost. Maybe somebody on the CMP forum can decode them.

I doubt the G&H double lever side mount and Lyman Alaskan were installed at Springfield. You can be sure that G&H would make the cut in the stock look right.

Does it retain the Lyman 48 receiver sight or at least its base?

Dollar value is substantial, although replacement of the receiver sight by scope might hurt. It might not, that is a perfectly legitimate rig of its era.

I once had a copy, built up on a 1903 Remington action in a 1922 stock. It looked right at six feet but would not stand close examination. It was a fine shooter, in spite of its lack of authenticity.

Page generated in 0.03751 seconds with 8 queries