View Single Post
Old March 10, 2013, 01:08 PM   #12
LeatherneckJohn

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, especially for my first post on this forum, but I have a good reason:

I am experiencing a very similar problem to micksis86. How did things turn out? It sounds like you had determined that the problem is copper fouling, but were not completely sure.

I have over twenty years of rifle and pistol shooting experience, and like micksis86, I have heard of copper fouling, but never seen it.

I recently purchased a gun safe for the first time. After putting my long guns in the safe for a week, and my hand guns in it for 24 hours, I was rearranging the shelving in the safe. As I was moving things around, I noticed a orange-copper color in the rifling at the muzzle of my M1903. Similar to micksis86 situation, I have only put about 100 rounds through a new barrel. After inspecting my handguns, I noticed the same thing. My shotgun and my rifles with flash hiders are not showing this.

I was concerned about the safe causing rust, but at this point believe it's copper fouling. The safe is a major brand. I have installed a cordless dehumidifier, and have a damp-rid canister in it, and have a hygrometer. The hygrometer reads "ideal". I removed my guns from the safe for several days, and put three pieces of test metal in the safe for 48 hours. The test metal did not form new rust.

What is bugging me is why haven't I noticed this before putting my guns in the safe. I clean them every time I shoot. One of the guns I've owned for over twenty years.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this.

Page generated in 0.03120 seconds with 8 queries