Thread: Check this out.
View Single Post
Old January 15, 2001, 07:24 PM   #5
Hal

DA,
From what I've seen just about every range has the same basic rules, and variations of most of em. The outdoor range I go to is L shaped, with the 25 yard range being the short leg of the L, and the 50,100 and 200 yard being the longer side. The 50 and the 100/200 yard ranges are seperated by a dirt mound. This means that any one of them can be hot, even if the one you're shooting at is in a cease fire. I use soft ear plugs that I keep in the car console and put them in as soon as I turn into the driveway. They aren't good for serious range use, but they do cut way down on the noise from a hot range long enough to dig the muffs out of the trunk. Can't help you one the target stands since my range uses a fixed plywood backstop. As far as fixing targets go. Just setup your stuff at the firing line, open the action, set it down and wait for the RO to signal everyone to cease fire. During a cease fire, it's not a good idea to take that time to reload. Best practice is to step back from the line if you don't have to set targets. If you do need to set targets, just hold them up for the RO to see, and wait for him to give the OK. If there isn't a RO, the other shooters should have a pretty good idea you've arrived, and eventually will call a cease fire to allow you to set targets. It's pretty much a common courtesy. Once you have been shooting a while, you'll get into the swing of it. Just pay attention to the other shooters, and they'll pay attention to you, and the cease fires come at regular intervals. When you do set targets, set more than you plan to shoot as quickly as you can. Dawdling down range and admiring your handiwork isn't appreciated and neither is setting one target, taking five shots, then calling another CF to set another target. Set 4or 5 targets at a time, and admire them after you pull them down.
50 bucks sounds pretty reasonable for a yearly pass. Mine runs 79 bucks for the outdoor range, and 175 for the indoor range.

Page generated in 0.03241 seconds with 8 queries