Thread: Annealing Cases
View Single Post
Old July 12, 2010, 12:05 PM   #23
mehavey

Gee.... And I thought I was going to be the one in the dog house ! <big grin>

That said, I have suggested the drill-spin/Tempilaq method of annealing method only after many (many) years [decades] of trying all the others. In the end I found that the tip-them-over-in-the-water-pan method didn't turn me on as:

(A) It took time to lay out all the (sized/deprimed) cases upright on the waterpan;
(B) when [not if] a case accidentally tips over, it takes (more) time to fish it (and its neighbors) out
of the water (and now the neck's wet on the inside);
(C) Maneuvering the torch all around the necks to get fast/even heating was an absolute pain
(and read 'B' again for good measure);
(D) and once successfully set up, heated, and dunked... I had wet cases until I could get them dried inside and out again.

and (E) when I finally hit on the spin-drill/Templaq method. I could (and did) regularly anneal 50 cases at a whack on the kitchen sink from start to finish/cleanup in about 15 minutes ... and my wife quit complaining. My 300 Win and 220 Swift (notorious neck hardeners) were also happier.

Moreover, no matter how many books I read I could never get (or teach) consistent heating based upon 'color' as a measure of temperature. To that I offer the sad experience of the Springfield armory and their low-numbered `03 receivers

Quote:
It was determined that the workers responsible for heat treating the receivers had used an "eyeball" method that relied on the color of the heated metal to determine if the steel had been heated to the correct temperature. Unfortunately, according to General Hatcher, the officer in charge of the investigation, "... it was quickly found that the ‘right heat’ as judged by the skillful eye of the old timers was up to 300 degrees hotter on a bright sunny day than it was on a dark cloudy one" (See Hatcher, Julian Hatcher’s Notebook , Third Edition, Stackpole Books, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, 1966, page 215).
I all I can do is suggest others not go down the same path -- unless like the MythBusters, they just "...wanna do it themselves."

post: This is not to say that I don't take over the kitchen for really important stuff -- like heat-treat/annealing the 600gr pure lead paper-patching Ballards for my Sharps on a pizza pan in my [wife's] oven. I'll never forget the next door neighbors coming over for Thanksgiving back in `89 when my wife told them to go ahead heat-up their contribution in the stove. The colonel came back and said there wasn't any room... that there were "...already bullets being baked in there...."

It's been a Thanksgiving joke ever since, ranking right up there with the newly shot [and still-feathered] pheasants falling out of the refrigerator back on Thanksgiving`71

Last edited by mehavey; July 12, 2010 at 12:33 PM.

Page generated in 0.02305 seconds with 8 queries