Thread: Which one???
View Single Post
Old July 24, 2013, 06:30 AM   #6
Rimfire5

If the Savage is NIB, it is a steal at $ 500. New model 10s list for $935. Three years ago they listed for about $ 800.

I have two Savage Law Enforcement Model 10s heavy barrels.
One is a model 10 FP with an AccuTrigger but no AccuStock with a 22 inch barrel - it is an early model before the AccuStock was released.

I also have a new 10 FCP-K that has both the AccuStock and Accutrigger. It has a 24 inch barrel and a 2 inch muzzle brake.

Both barrels are free floated from the stocks.

The original 10 FP has 6000 rounds through it and has served me well.
It is going back to Savage for a new barrel.
Its top 25 hand loads averaged 0.438 over 154 measured groups at 100 yards. The stock seems flimsy but apparently it works just fine.
I shoot with a bipod and a rear bag at the range and the stock works just fine.

The new 10 FCP-K is slightly more accurate and I am still working up loads for it but so far it is maybe 0.01 to 0.02 inches more accurate at 100 yards with its best loads. The AccuStock is more rigid and I attribute that to the slightly better accuacy.

The heavy barrels are better for range work IMO because they don't heat up as fast.
All my hunting barrels in calibers above .22-150 are prone to very quick heating.
Light barrels are great for hunting to reduce the weight but not as great at the range when you are trying to shoot groups to test loads and don't want to wait for barrels to cool.

Savage makes 'special' models for some large distributors.
My buddy has a Model 10 FCP that has a fluted barrel that was made for Dick's sporting goods. It shoots just as accurately as the other Savage .308s that range buddies have. My old Savage impressed my son and my range buddies so there are now 5 Savage model 10s in .308 and two in .223 at our range. They all shoot just about as accurately.

The Savage has lots of scope rail options available including multiple MOA adjusting rails. If you get a Weaver or Picatinny rail, there are a lot of rings choices available in multiple price ranges. Rings for 30 mm scopes are more expensive as are the scopes with 30 mm tubes.

I have used both and the 30 mm tubes are slightly brighter in large front objective sizes comparing objective lens sizes of 50mm+.

I also bought a Remington 700 SPS with a heavy barrel on sale for just over $ 400. But I changed the gritty factory trigger to a Timney trigger. The factory stock wasn't up to the potential of the rifle so I replaced it with a Bell & Carlson stock. With those two changes, it really became a keeper. Total cost after the trigger and barrel replacements was $ 780.

All the Savages shot great right out of the box.

Page generated in 0.03577 seconds with 8 queries