View Single Post
Old November 20, 2010, 08:48 PM   #3
HiBC

First,I have never made a composite stock.So,what do I know?
The ones you buy have a composite inner structure,then a mold is gelcoated,fabric stuck to the gel,then the foam is injected.A challenge will be:
Laying up fabric over foam and wetting out on a non-mold surface,you will have cosmetic issues.If I had to do it with my lack of skill,by the time I was done fairing and filling,I might have a stock that weighed more than I hoped.
If I was going to do it anyway,I'd look at an Aircraft Spruce catalogue,and a Systems West Epoxy catalogue,and learn about carbon fiber tape and kevlar and all the stuff available and how it works.I might also look at something like devcon titanium putty.I might look hard at model airplane balsa,too.
Then I might put resease agent all over my barreled action and just start building structure a zone at a time,thinking recoil lug area,triangles,gussets,bulkheads,etc,using balsa,circuit board material that is epoxy based,or whatever to spread load.Build structure from the steel out
Then shape and fair what you have.Around your bulkheads and such,you may tak an exacto knife and trim a chamfer so when you skin it,it will make a filet.

Place re-enforcement for swivels,etc.Vacuum bag it when you skin it.

If it does not work out,at least you put release agent on,you did,didn't you?
good luck.

Page generated in 0.03432 seconds with 8 queries