View Single Post
Old January 4, 2013, 08:07 PM   #302
RampantAndroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
Contrary to popular belief, there is a process to this. A bill is not a law until it has gone through the process. It is introduced, it is given a number and a title, and it gets heard by a committee. If the committee decides not to table it, it gets debated on the floor. Then it goes back for revision. Then it gets debated again. Then it goes back for revision. Then it gets debated again. This can go on for quite some time.
Tom, aren't you missing something? The same thing I think every major newspaper and blog has missed to date: that the committee chairman can pigeon hole a bill, a way of silently preventing it from even hitting the floor - and I believe any bill will be introduced in the judicial committee, for which the chairman has said that a gun ban isn't on the table.

"We’re going to take a look at what happened there [in Newtown] and what can be done to help avoid it in the future," Rep. Bob Goodlatte (R-Va.), the incoming chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, which oversees gun laws, told Roll Call last month. "But gun control is not going to be something that I would support."

Read more: http://thehill.com/homenews/house/27...#ixzz2Gy80t8G7

Page generated in 0.03070 seconds with 8 queries