View Single Post
Old November 15, 2018, 04:55 PM   #12
MarkCO

As we know the brain is not fully developed until 25, and there is this thing called myelination, yes, I do believe cross-dominant people, especially those who use their weak side as a result, have a better overall kinesthetic intelligence than those who do not. I know that pilots for some aircraft do better who do not have a strong dominance for one side, and typically cross dominant folks have a lower washout rate due to vision and offside task issues than those with a strong dominance on one side. Middle infielders and point guards are two more places where strong dominance to one side is detrimental.

A lot of it is in the brain and how the two sides are developed, stimulated, and trained, especially in the years from 12 to 25. Being left handed, but without any real dominance except for the right eye, I am sure that it was because of baseball, soccer and shooting in my teens and twenties that allowed that development. I can still pitch, hit, shoot from both sides pretty evenly. Due to repetition, I can throw a little harder from the right side that the left even though I am left handed. I am not sure I believe that there is such a thing as a "naturally ambidextrous" person as all that I have spoken to that might be in that camp used their off side in some sort in their youth.

Page generated in 0.02293 seconds with 8 queries