View Single Post
Old October 30, 2022, 11:27 AM   #62
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
When they cut a 38/357 revolver chamber to fit a 9mm, they cut it with a ledge to properly headspace the 9mm round?
That is an interesting question, I do not know if they do, or not.

I don't have a .38 cylinder that has been converted to 9mm, never saw the point, or had any reason to justify the cost. What I do have is a .38 revolver, 9mm ammo, and the specs in my reloading manuals.

Now I understand that the specs are the standard maximums, and that each individual gun and the ammo can vary a bit from the specs due to intent, and manufacturing tolerances, and the actual SAAMI spec drawings have min/max tolerances.

That being said, and just going by the numbers I have, a .38 cylinder may not or may not have a ledge cut, specifically for the 9mm case to headspace on. It might depend on the actual tolerances obtained during the cutting, or on the preference of the smith doing the work. IF the cylinder is also being cut for clearance of the clips, there there is no need to have a headspace ledge, as the round will headspace on the clip. SO, the smith might omit it, as not needed. (if it is an extra step)

I do not know if the 9mm reamer will create the ledge when it cuts the chamber, or not. I am not familiar with the tool.

What I do know is the specs that I have show the .38Spl case as .379" at the mouth, and its a straight case all the way back to the rim. The 9mm case is .380" at the case mouth, and tapers back to .391" at the case head.

Cutting a 9mm chamber out of a .38 chamber MIGHT create enough of a ledge to headspace the 9mm on, I just don't know.

This situation is the opposite of using .45ACP in a .45 Colt chamber. In that situation, the auto pistol case is smaller in diameter than the revolver chamber, no headspace ledge can be cut, and clips must be used for headspace of the ACP round.

With the 9mm in a .38 chamber, the semi auto round is larger in diameter, so the chamber itself must be opened up to accept the 9mm round. That could create a headspace ledge I just don't know.

The other thing I do know is that last night I took a Colt .38, and dropped some rounds in to see what they did, in the gun that I have. .32ACP drops almost all the way through and stops with just the rim inside the mouth of the cylinder. .380 drops into the .38 clyinder with the case base about 1/4" inch below flush with the cylinder rear (firning pin won't reach it) and 9mm Luger rounds go about half way into the .38 chamber and then STOP with about have the case sticking out.

Personally, I feel that if you have a .38 cylinder reamed for 9mm, then from that point on, its 9mm ONLY. It might be possible to load and fire .38s in the 9mm cut chamber, (I don't know for sure) but I would consider doing so a foolish thing, as the .38 brass will certainly swell to fill the larger 9mm chamber, and might even split doing so, and even if it doesn't, it will be bulged and I would consider the case useless for reloading after that.

I have 9mm semis, and I have a 9mm single shot. If I wanted a 9mm revolver, I would get one purpose built in 9mm, (and probably a Ruger SA) and not convert a .38, but, that's just me.

Page generated in 0.02652 seconds with 8 queries