View Single Post
Old March 11, 2021, 05:51 AM   #22
Afrohunter

Mike. I live in South Africa. I have owned the Kimber sporterised Swedish M96 chambered in .308 since 1998. That's 23 years. This same rifle was my very first. The rifle is still accurate today, and has never once failed me. I have used it to harvest over 120 African plains game since, from the small duiker up to the Eland. Plus I also use it for target shooting in between the hunts when I get time. I only use self-loaded ammo, mostly Barnes 165 gr and sometimes 180 gr bullets. Recoil is very light to negligible when I compare it to the .375 H&H and .416 Rigby which I added a few years later. I am still in one piece as the .308 has never blown up in my face. Never crossed my mind to replace the rifle.
As for pressure, there are two organizations which specify the requirements for civilian rifles.
In CIP regulated countries, the .308 is required by the CIP (Commission Internationale Permanente pour l'Epreuve des Armes à Feu Portatives) to handle up to 415.00 MPa (60,191 psi) but is then expected to be tested at 125% of this pressure for the consumer market. Ultimately this means your .308 should handle 519.00 MPa (75,275 psi) of piezo pressure.
In the North American countries, the SAAMI (Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute) expects the .308 to handle a maximum pressure of 427.47 MPa (62,000 psi).
For you to be sure, you should ask the dealer to provide you with a copy of the actual test results for the rifle and compare that with either of the regulated specification.

I hope that this information helps you. Happy, safe and straight shooting

Page generated in 0.02925 seconds with 8 queries