Thread: Help me choose
View Single Post
Old January 19, 2020, 11:48 PM   #27
kilotanker22

Quote:
Originally Posted by std7mag View Post
Were i to do this build, i would use the large shank for really no other reason than "just because".
Lazzeroni did testing with the Savage large shank. They intentionally over pressured it to see what one would take. At 120,000 psi they got the receiver to permenantly deform.

Check out Grices. I don't remember a time when there that i have NOT seen a used 270 WSM on the rack.

Incidentally, going by Hodgdon, the 270 WSM with 130gr bullet is about 300 fps faster than 270 Win, and 100 fps slower than 270 Weatherby.

Myself, i use E.R. Shaw barrels. They are made in PA (just south of Pittsburgh). I have had excellent accuracy wiith mine (note, hunting rifles). Are inexpensive. You just missed end of year sale of 15% off entire order.
I have 2 now, and getting money saved up to order 2 more for different builds.
Yeah I still don't know what exactly I will end up doing.

With a 22 inch barrel with 130 grain Sierra Game Kings and H-1000 At starting loads I was already sending them down range at around 3300 fps with excellent repeat ability and accuracy. I am hopeful that the load I have already finished for my Thompson Center translates well to the new Factory rifle with a longer barrel. I am literally loading at the starting weight with great numbers so aside from experimenting with seating depth I have no quarrel with trying the same exact load in the new rifle.

Already ordered the rifle so if it shoots really well then I won't replace the barrel right away.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine

Page generated in 0.02604 seconds with 8 queries