View Single Post
Old June 10, 2006, 11:12 PM   #21
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
.40 is very dangerous to load with 180grainers.
And yet many companies make and sell it.

Quote:
Sounds like the glock was about as effective as a knife. The bear didn't die from the gunshots, it died from blood loss.
Let's see, if it isn't CNS damage, then you generally die of cardio or pulmonary damages, or both. You could die from sepsis days later, but we are talking relatively fast.

Just where did the blood loss come from? Tissue damage from gunshots. That is what gunshots do, damage tissue when the target is hit properly.

Quote:
Fact 1: I fired 10 rounds at the bear, 9 hit him, 4 where fatal wounds, the others where periphiel wounds

Fact 2: It was 2:30am and VERY DARK. I used a Surefire 6P flashlight to illuminate him in my hallway (held in my left hand at same level as my gun which was in my right hand at eye level, half point shooting, half front site aiming). Try to do better in these conditions with a bear at 4-7 feet away in your house. NINE rounds hit him!
Bear, 4-7 feet distant, trapped in a fatal funnel and illuminated with a Surefire. 9 out of 10 shots are good, but the bear's options were limited in his ability to move and bears aren't small. As a well trained IDPA person, that sounds nominal.

It is never dark in your own hallway when you have a Surefire light.

4 shots were fatal? That is a pretty quick autopsy. They were not immediately fatal. Were they each fatal, or combined?

Quote:
Fact 4: Obviously .40 caliber 180 grn COR-BON hollowpoints at 1300 fps ARE enough to take down a bear right now!
Fact, he didn't go down, 'right now!'

Quote:
KNOW YOUR TARGET!!!
It was a bear. Who would you confuse it for, Uncle Jim with the overly hairy back who likes to prowl around on all fours at night?

Quote:
Fact 9: It is fortunate that I used a .40 cal handgun with hollowpoints as opposed to a rifle or shotgun with slugs (my Benelli M1 is loaded normally with 3" slugs). Overpenetration would have been a serious problem. As it is, one of the ten rounds missed the bear or bounced off of him and penetrated my wall, ricocheted of a paving stone outside the home and put a skin deep hole in the door of my car! What would all those BIG guns have done? They all would have overpenetrated at that range!
Now which fact is it? Do slugs at 4-7 feet overpenetrate or bounce of bears. I can never keep that 'fact' straight.

Quote:
Fact 12: The bear was aggressive. He was salivating heavily, leaving a saliva trail all over in front of our bedroom door - which is where I first encountered him. A salivating bear is a sign of agitation. NOT GOOD! I yelled at him and banged on the door after hitting his eyes with my surefire, he retreated only temporarily. Then he came back.
A salivating bear is NOT NECESSARILY a sign of agitation. Brian is apparently making a sweeping generalization due to the stress of the encounter where he was apparently just as 'agitated' and couldn't recall his AK47 with mags that was close by originally or the location of his spare Glock mags, which he forgot to take with him when investigating his believed cat disturbing the house. Since the bear was salivating excessively BEFORE the encounter started, more likely he was tense, stressed, distressed, or otherwise not in his happy place. As such, the salivation is not an indicator of being necessarily aggressive. Being in some other animal's cave and then hearing unseen dogs barking would be very stressful, no doubt.

Fact 13: I didn't decline an interview with Anchorage Daily News, I had to work from 9am to 9pm. I have a real job and life goes on. Although, I wish I had talked to them - they got it about 50% wrong.

Quote:
There will be a million armchair quarterbacks who will criticize your decisions and actions. You were there, you did it right and it worked - forget them.
No, just questioning the 'facts.'

I am still amazed that he learned from his bear encounter that he needed to be in the NRA. That is amazing.

Page generated in 0.03951 seconds with 8 queries