View Single Post
Old June 9, 2006, 10:26 PM   #17
ddelange

I'm happy to hear that the person in question was able to defend himself against the Bear with a .40 handgun round. Any gun/caliber is better than no gun/caliber. However, any large Black or Grizzly Bear that decides to aggressively attack a human will charge at 30mph right through a hail of .40 bullets and maul the human to death. In bear country I carry a .44Mag with 300gr. flat nosed bullets in case I can't bring my .30'06 to bear. At home I don't have to worry about bears in the home, but my set-up for defense against BG's would be sufficient against bears as well: a handgun on the nightstand for quick deployment against fast and/or dynamic invasions, and a 12 ga Shotgun loaded with 7 #1Buck shells in the pipe next to my bed (chamber empty and -1 in the pipe so I can load a slug from my side saddle if needed) to engage BG's. As a wise trainer once told me: your handgun should only be used to fight your way to your rifle/SG. I like to have both at hand when in bed.
"War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." -- John Stuart Mill

Page generated in 0.02459 seconds with 8 queries