View Single Post
Old January 10, 2000, 05:48 PM   #1
EQUALIZER

Does anyone know of a better all around / combat ready flashlight for under $40?

Just recently bought a Energizer Double Barrel - the model that takes 8 AA batteries. Why do I like it?

1. Very accessable: Its thin design allows me to slide it into my waistband or belt and draw it without need of a holster or loop. Its smooth, melted contours lend to quick deployment and reholstering. The larger diameter lens keeps it from falling through the belt or waistband.

2. Comparable to the Maglight 4 D cell light, but far thinner. This makes it easier to hold for those of us with average and small hands.

3. Flat design makes consistant indexing a breeze; even along side of a handgun. Forgive me for forgetting who to credit the type hold, but the switch placement and flat profile allow the middle, ring and pinkie fingers to wrap those of the shooting hand for a two hand hold. Can also hold one handed. (ie. Resting on shoulder and depressing button w/pinkie. Can see your plain sights this way....even though tritium inserts are usually best IMHO.)

4. Silent, momentary switch: touch on momentarily AND continueous on.

5. Option of using alkaline or cheap NI CD rechargables--instead of lithiums and expensive proprietary rechargables.

6. Adjustable lens with xenon bulb gives both a clean area wide flood and a dense white spot. Cheapest xenon bulbs I've found. $3 @ K-Mart or $5 factory direct.

7. Just long enough to make an effective defensive close range baton that is legal to carry into any building, I would guess...After all its innocent looking and just a flashlight..... right?....

8. Lightweight to carry all day and swing quickly. Al body w/ snug fitting batteries makes it pretty dense. The lens flares out on the botom of the grip for a secure hold that won't fly out of the hand unless the hand opens.

Drawback: Not so bright that it is blinding, like the more expensive xenon "tach" lights. It can light up a large area and spot bright enough to make out detail out past 75 yds with no problem. But up close, my underwater kinitics 4 AA dive light is far brighter (and lighter by the way.) Its strange how the DB can through a spot against trees well past 100 yds., but up close doesn't have the brightness of the bright UK.

This is getting tooooo long so I'll stop here.

The light retails (not what I paid for it) for $38.99 if memory is correct. Can I do better?

Robert

------------------
"But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip; and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." -Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36, see John 3:15-18)

[This message has been edited by EQUALIZER (edited January 10, 2000).]

Page generated in 0.03341 seconds with 8 queries