View Single Post
Old April 22, 2000, 09:32 AM   #18
a

Just about every Vietnam Vet I've spoken to, to a man, has voiced his preference of the M14 over the M16. I think I read somewhere that, at the Chosun Reservoir in Korea, the only rifle that did not fail was the M1 Garand. The M14/M1A is merely an updated version of the M1 Garand. It is an extremely reliable system. I talked to a Vietnam Vet who told me his M16 jammed on him and, when he field stripped it, he could not determine the cause. He put it back together and it jammed again. He field stripped it several times trying to determine the cause. Finally, he found a minute thread way up inside the area of the forcing cone and it was causing the bolt to not slam shut all the way. He told me that, had the gun been an M14, the power of the bolt slamming shut would have forced any ammo into the chamber to fire properly. This same guy was involved in firearms testing for the military, wherein he tested the M16, M14 and M1 Garand on sheep. The M14 and M1, obviously, did very well. He was not impressed at all with the M16. I think the old adage that you should shoot the most powerful round that you can shoot well is true. If you shoot a charging bad guy, who's possibly hopped up on something, with a .308, you know it will stop him. M14 all the way!

Page generated in 0.03362 seconds with 8 queries