View Single Post
Old April 22, 2019, 02:56 PM   #1
johnm1

Colt 1903 High Polish Finish

I purchased a Colt 1903 a couple of years ago that had what I believed to be a total reblue. The work that was done would have had to have been nearly perfect. To my untrained eye, there are not any signs of over polishing. All of the lettering, including the rampant Pony, are crisp and clear. I see no signs of the hard edges being rounded. But, it has a very high polish finish. It was sold as a re blue, and I paid a reblue price for it. I can't remember what it was but it was less than $500 I'm sure. Probably in the 400 + range. I have read recently that some of the early 1903 s came with a high polish finish. This is certainly not an early version. Serial number dates it to 1922 and it is a Type 3 if you use Chuck Hawks Article of types. The safety and Trigger also have a high polish blue finish. Not the fire blue that the originals were issued with. This further supports that the high polish finish that is on the gun is an aftermarket Improvement. But, I keep coming back to how well it was polished. It seems too good to have been done after market.

My question is, is there any solid evidence when or if later models may have come from the factory with a high polished finish.?

My assumption for now is that it was reblued after market. I just want to satisfy my curiosity.

I will post a picture separately

Page generated in 0.03844 seconds with 8 queries