View Single Post
Old March 27, 2014, 10:52 AM   #3
kraigwy

I run unconventional classes. They are defense classes not target shooting, meaning its based on reality positions and not target stances.

Example:

Shooting while seated in a car; car jacking
Shooting while seated on a couch or recliner; home invasions
Shooting from bed; home invasions
Shooting while seated at a dinner table; home invasion, restaurant attacks
Shooting while laying on the ground: Being knocked on your butt at an atm or victim of knock out games.
Drawing and shooting from a diaper bag while pushing a stroller
Drawing and shooting while pulling a toddler (large rag doll) behind you for cover
Drawing and shooting while pushing a shopping cart at the target
Drawing and shooting while pulling on a purse which is attached to the target stand
Draw and fire while tossing your wallet at the target; mugging

Read crime reports in the paper for other scenarios one might encounter

IN ADDITION:

I teach that just because one has his gun pointed at you, does not mean you're at a disadvantage.

Drill I

Using a blue plastic training gun (Never use a real gun, empty or loaded), Stand in front of your partner with the gun concealed. Your partner stands with his elbows at his side, arms extended shoulder width a part.

When your partner sees you start to draw, he claps his hands. With just bit of practice you can always get the gun between the hands before they come together.

Drill II

Both you and your partner are facing your respective target. Your gun is concealed. Your partner points his pistol at the target ready to shoots. He fires as soon as he sees you start to draw. Again after a bit of practice you can draw and shoot before he can fire.

Remember you can act faster then you can re-act. In the two above drills your partner KNOWS you're going to draw, but cant react in time. Where as when confronted by a bandit, he is expecting compliance not drawing of a weapon. Distraction helps, if the one is talking he cant shoot. He had to recognize your threat, stop talking, and respond. This gives you the advantage.

One thing you need to do, is practice drawing and firing. Use a shot timer, if you can't draw and fire, hitting the center mass of a man size target in less then 1/2 second, you need to reevaluate your gun or method of carry.

Many will doubt my above comments (drills), all those who haven't tried it do.

I demonstrate the two drills mentioned, and in my ladies only SD Class every one of them say they cant do it, after a two hour session, every one of them can. I can one lady who is 87 years old and has a bad case of arthritis. It didn't take long for her to get where she can successfully complete the drills and is getting pretty close to getting to the 1/2 sec. speed I mentioned.

Again, this is for SD, not target shooting.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Last edited by kraigwy; March 27, 2014 at 11:41 AM.

Page generated in 0.02327 seconds with 8 queries