View Single Post
Old November 22, 2013, 10:53 PM   #30
RX-79G

I'm feeling a little trolled, myself.

The regulations don't refer to who the person is who can't open the package - it is everyone who comes in contact with it who isn't the owner. That includes, but is not restricted to the recipient. That is your idea, it doesn't come from anywhere. ALL persons who handle a boxed firearm in transit aren't allowed to open and take possession of it.

Quote:
This is classic.....mind if I email this to my ATF IOI?
You have a serious misunderstanding of who may be a common carrier and how they are regulated. Start reading here:http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/te...pter-II/part-I
What's classic is reading what I wrote about CONTRACT carriers and then responding with more about COMMON carriers. Contract carriers are anyone contracted to move your stuff. A common carrier does it on a schedule for the general public. UPS and FedEx are common carriers, Mayflower and Two Guys and a Truck are contract carriers. There is no discernible difference between a regular person and a contract carrier, especially in state. There is no special license to become a contract carrier of a firearm.

Contract carrier. Mover. Both mentioned in the regs.

Quote:
Seriously? Possession, ie "holding the firearm in your hands" is not the same as the transfer of possession that occurs when a dealer sells and transfers a firearm to a customer.
So, you think that someone holding a box with a gun in it is possession, but holding the gun itself is not?

I know it is legal for your customers to handle your guns, but you don't seem to understand why it is legal. It is legal because it is not prohibited, just as it is not prohibited to have someone carry your boxed gun to a common carrier. Neither are specifically prohibited, but you say one is illegal possession and the other not. Bizarre.

And I'm in the process of writing up a bunch of this stuff to the ATF to get a letter back, because there is so much disagreement on this board about stuff that shouldn't be so hard.

Page generated in 0.02291 seconds with 8 queries