View Single Post
Old February 17, 2021, 04:46 PM   #11
Scorch

Note that the AK F&G were not saying you can do away with a magnum for big bears. They said that people tend to up-gun when going for smaller game (caribou, elk, moose, sheep) because of the chance of meeting a big bear in some areas of AK.

One of my customers was a guide in AK. He told me my 7X57 would take anything I wanted to shoot (caribou, moose, elk). The reason he carried a 416 Weatherby when guiding is that things happen that are not in the plan. You may not spot a bear coming to the sound of a shot until he is right on top of you. When that happens, you want to swat them with something rough. Would your 30-06 kill a bear? Sure. Before he gets you? Maybe. Magnums change the odds for up close encounters. If you are going on a guided hunt, your guide will tell you what you should carry.

As far as why magnums for the rest of the USA (lower 48), magnums shoot flatter, making range estimation less critical. But with range finders and some practice with your rifle, you can hit game all the way out to where you stop feeling comfortable.

Page generated in 0.02462 seconds with 8 queries