View Single Post
Old March 17, 2018, 08:32 PM   #8
JeepHammer

When the weather is just right, I shoot a 24" varmint barrel (prairie dogs/ground hogs) and my home 600 yd target. Keeps slightly over 1/2 MOA with exactly the right hand load.
Slightly under 1 MOA with my standard hand load varmint round.
Nothing really special with the exception of the barrel, hand fitting of parts on assembly.

I've not found, or seen, a .223 that shoots reliably much past 600 yds from anyone, with any load, for any amount of money.
I've seen guys try to shoot 1,000 yds with .223, and it always depends on altitude & weather conditions, while even the off the shelf .308 guys were killing it.

The other point to make is, *IF* you decide to jump off the AR-15 platform to say AR-10, then there is no reason to stick to a .308
There are lots of calibers based on .308 that will cycle & function fine through the AR-10 platform.
My favorite was a .300 Win Short Mag. Fewer rounds in mag, but functioned fine & shot great.

It's not an AR-10, but the AR style has been applied to a .338 Lupua Mag round, got a chance to see one in action a couple summers ago and it was impressive.

I guess if you just had to stick to AR-15 format, then I might mess with trying to shoot long range, but the cost & trouble goes up exponentally, and considering the .338 LM is an honest 2,000 yard round, that pretty much redefines 'Long Range'...

Since the OP never defined what he thought 'Long Range' was, or even what he was wanting to shoot, I kind of had to cover all the bases...

Page generated in 0.02545 seconds with 8 queries