View Single Post
Old December 2, 2022, 03:40 PM   #56
bamaranger

locations and legends

The choice of words in referring to York is up to the writer. Legend is not one I choose, but others have. Purely me I suppose, but is seems a small step from legend to myth and from myth to tall tale. The inference in the OP was the event was not all that it was claimed (or words to that effect) and I am opposed to massaging history when there is enough evidence to support the original story. York's action was witnessed by many from both sides and much written material exists concerning same. MASTRIANO'S work puts much of it together in one package.

The location and evidence were compelling enough for the French authorities to allow the construction of the Sgt York Historical Trail. It is indeed a case of the evidence supporting the claim, but....... it is the TOTALITY of the evidence, the brass, the insignia, German ID tags and uniform minutia, MG belt material, spent and unspent cases both German and US, even a German officers whistle and the terrain which allows the conclusion to be reached. There have been other searches and claims to success, but MASTRIANO's efforts paint the best picture. To use the reference to Little Big Horn.......there is debate as to whether or not they actually recovered Custer's body, and not just some enlisted man, even though the location of the battle is well known and the effort was done only about a year later.

My point? Recreating history involves some speculation. I want to believe that they now have the York site correct and "Hero of the Argonne" connects enough dots for me to believe. All others suit themselves. I do encourage all interested to read the book.

Hollywood and Gary Cooper gave us the movie and it is entertaining and of course certainly not fact. I've enjoyed this discourse on York. Not long after visiting his gravesite in Pall Mall, I mentioned some to a certain educated and bright person of my acquaintance that I had done same. I was confounded when they did not know the Alvin York story. About to the same degree when a young man at the range asked what kind of rifle was my M-1 Garand!

Page generated in 0.03170 seconds with 8 queries