Thread: One Shot Kill
View Single Post
Old December 20, 2022, 03:28 PM   #9
MarkCO

It is a loaded question, pun intended.

First Bull Elk I shot was with a 12g slug. He took 2 steps, bellowed a red mist and expired. Before and after, I used a .30-06 for about 20 years. Most of the time, I pulled the trigger, heard a thump and then found the Elk in a pile where it had been standing. A few took a few or more steps, but none ran more than 1/4 mile. My Dad and FIL used 7mm Mags and their percent of DRT was less. I tracked 2 for one and 3 for the other, from 1 to 5 miles. When I switched to the .338-06, I shot 12 bullets that put 12 Elk straight down. Then I went to Barnes TSX, and with well placed shots, the next 3 Elk went 1/2 mile (tagged by another hunter) 100 yards and I needed to finish it, and about 400 yards. The last, I put 3 bullets into a 2" group and the other 2 were also well placed. First shot was a kill shot, but it was cold and snowing and the sun had just set. Then I went back to Noslers, and 4 more Elk, one shot, dropped in their tracks.

Saturday, I shot an Elk with a 6.5CM, 300 yards. Well placed. She took about 10 steps, summersaulted and died. Took about 10 seconds. 143 ELDx. Only reason I used my Stag .308 pattern AR with a comp because I had neck surgery 6 weeks ago and the Doctor did not want me shooting higher powered rifles. It had about 1/6th of the recoil energy of my .338-06. 39th Elk I have tagged, and probably 200th I have seen shot. I have a strong affinity for .27 caliber and larger and 150 grains or more, so this was a departure, borne of wanting to fill my tag, and several other controls, including 2 19 year olds who got it in the truck for me.

Pronghorn, from 100 to 1000 yards and .22 to .30 caliber, I have seen them drop when I felt the shot was a little far and the bullet a little light, and then run when the shot was close, bullet heavy and well placed.

I've said it once, I will say it again, stuff happens. Use enough energy, well placed, is all we can do. Most of the time it works out perfect. Sometimes it does not. Elk are much tougher, pound for pound than Deer, Hogs or Pronghorn, and I have seen them do amazing climbs up hills with a hole through their heart and a 6" wide, mile long blood trail.

Page generated in 0.03505 seconds with 8 queries