View Single Post
Old April 8, 2018, 07:59 AM   #10
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilPewPew View Post
So my good friend is a felon . . . . And can he really get in trouble if they are in his possession because cops can't raid his house without a warrant so as long as he doesn't become suspicious he should be good?
Frank has already laid this out, but I'll add a couple of points:
  • Yes, he can really get in trouble. A great deal of trouble. At the federal level, a violation of 18 USC 922(g) is punishable by 10 years in prison plus fines, the amount of which escapes me. It's also possible to be prosecuted at the State level. In fact, while it's an unusual circumstance, he could (in theory) be prosecuted by both the federal and state authorities.
  • If he's a felon, and still on probation or parole, he may well have a search waiver on file. That's a waiver of the warrant requirement and his parole officer could come over and look around, kind of whenever he wants.
  • Your friend and his wife need to consult an attorney, licensed in the appropriate jurisdiction, about this. One familiar with criminal law & procedure, as well as federal firearms law.

Page generated in 0.02786 seconds with 8 queries