Thread: Turkey Chokes
View Single Post
Old February 1, 2014, 02:38 AM   #5
bamaranger

chokes and loads

I shoot an 870 as well. Purchased in spring 1980. About 1990 or so I put a rem-choked 20" slug barrel on it with factory rifle sights. Onto that I screwed Rems first generation extended turkey full. A few years later they came out with the Rem super-full, the one with the knurling on the extension, and I switched to that and have not changed. I cannot tell you the dimensions on either, but somebody likely can. I hear Rem now has yet another extended tube, but I have not pursued it. You can spill a bunch of money on turkey chokes, you sure can, but I have resisted it.

The rifle sights are a great benefit, and I cannot stress enough how important I think some type of sight system, beyond the old simple single bead, is to spring gobbler shooting with a shotgun.

I've been all over the map with loads, sticking with 3" shells. For a long time I thought more was better, and progressed from 1-7/8oz, on to 2 oz, and then 2-1/4 oz 3" shells. Shot #6 lead first, then switched to #5 when the 2-1/4 load hit the market. Killed quite a few birds with the 2-1/4 oz Activ (remember them) load #6, very dense, never shot anything quite like it since. But it seemed to lack "punch" and on birds much past 35 yds, I'd have to stomp some. Switched to #5 and it seemed to be a better killer. Then
Active went under and the super heavies dried up.

I was in search of a new load, and Winchester introduced its 1-3/4 oz hi-vel load. I discovered that #5 shot in that load would yield as many hits on a sheet of typing paper as the 2-0z #6 loads. Percent wise they were not the equal of the 2-1/4 oz #5 or 6 Activs, but they were very close. And that lighter load was going faster...more punch so I think, and results in the field seem to support that. I found them on sale at the end of a season at Wally world one year, and have likely bought a lifetime supply.

I have not made the switch to "space shot" (the tungsten alloys) and likely will not. You can spend a bunch of money on turkey shells too, you sure can.

I want more of an edge than the standard field loads............though I'm sure we'll hear from guys that use just that. By contrast, this trend to add 10 more yds of range to your turkey gun with space shot and 3.5" shells seems unnecessary. (and expensive). And the 3.5 alloy receivered guns will kick you silly as well.

Keep your shots to 40 yds or so, add some sights, pay attention to your set ups and camo, keep your cool, and you should kill gobblers.

Page generated in 0.02802 seconds with 8 queries