View Single Post
Old October 28, 2013, 06:51 PM   #12
Paul B.

Methinks a big part of your recoil problem is that Savage's stock. I have one in .358 Win. and although I have a pretty recoil proof shoulder, I find it slightly uncomfortable to shoot and mine has a decent pad on it.
A cartridge that I've been playing with is the "underpowered" 7x57 Mauser which I improve through judicious handloading to 7-08 levels. No problem in a modern action. Which leads me to the cartridge I think you'd like, the 7-08 Remington. Decent power, velocity and accuracy and in a modern rifle with proper stock, shouldn't bruise the shoulder at all,especially with a good recoil pad like the Declerator. Remington and Savage make left hand guns in 7-08 and if you want to spend some coin go Kimber.
Actually, recoil in a .308 isn't all that bad with a proper fitting stock and reasonable weight, say 7 to 7.5 pounds with a scope, sling and full magazine. If you reload, there's no reason why you couldn'y load it do to around .300 Savage levers and it would still be one hell of a deer slayer. Save the hotter load levels for bigger game.
Paul B.

Page generated in 0.03503 seconds with 8 queries