View Single Post
Old July 20, 2010, 05:28 PM   #41
booker_t

Quote:
Frankly I'm shocked it took 5 hours of deliberation for the jury to clear the officer.
Five hours is not a long deliberation, considering a human being was killed (scumbag, chucklehead, ex-convict, wifebeater, regardless, still a human being). The jury was responsible to interpret the applicable laws and consider all the evidence presented at the coroner's inquiry, which was likely quite extensive and ponderous.

While the video clearly shows Jessop was attacked, and the Jurors likely had the same notion that you (and any other sane person) have, I would imagine the sticking point that had to be reconciled within the specific language of the law was that Davis was presumably driving away, not attempting to reposition and continue the attack.

Unlike NFL instant replay, I have no problem with a jury taking as long as it needs to arrive at the correct decision.

A different angle of approach, staying behind Davis' left shoulder, would have provided view of the cabin from an angle that would make it difficult for Davis to point a gun at Jessop, let alone by complete surprise. Likewise, a passenger-side approach would have provided the best view of the cabin, and a clear view of any attempt to draw a gun. Different departments have different protocols, however, and we don't know what they prescribe in Hamilton, Montana.

Having the right hand free and on the gun would have decreased his draw time by literally seconds.

Engaging Davis in conversation once he replied "plenty" to the question of consumption, rather than stepping away while instructing him to step out of the vehicle, also prolonged the time Davis had to retrieve and/or present the revolver.

While none of these things may have prevented the initial shooting, they certainly would have helped Jessop to better control the situation. That's my point, and controlling suspects, especially once they've demonstrated erratic driving and are clearly intoxicated/under the influence, is paramount.

Last edited by booker_t; July 20, 2010 at 05:40 PM.

Page generated in 0.03444 seconds with 8 queries