View Single Post
Old August 29, 2008, 02:58 PM   #2
Shoney

Dark Knight1
WELCOME to reloading and the forum!!!!!!!!!

I am curious as to why you are “loading down below starting charges”??????????

Have you read any of the WARNINGS about reduced charges????????

With reduce charges, it is theorized that you can get an explosive detonation or S.E.E. I was first introduced to this condition in an article in American Rifleman well over 20 years ago, maybe longer. The article was entitles S.E.E. something???? The article made the point that SEE (Secondary Explosive Effect) is more commonly referred to as detonation, but that in reality it was not a detonation, rather it is a unique pattern of burning of the powder.

The phenomenon is theorized to occur in reduce rifle loads that are well below the minimum load. The greater the reduction, the greater the chance of catastrophic problems. Loading a good deal below minimum load has always been promoted as a dangerous and unwise practice since I started loading 48 years ago.

The article theorized when a small amount of powder lays flat in the horizontal case; that the primer ignition hits the rear portion of the powder igniting it, and then skips over the middle section of powder, igniting the front portion of the powder, and both ends burn rapidly toward the middle. The result is theorized to be an uneven but rapid burning of the powder, causing a very high pressure spike.

If you are going to use these reduced loads, at least bring them to the forum for dicussion prior to using them.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111

Page generated in 0.05738 seconds with 8 queries