View Single Post
Old November 22, 2019, 01:43 PM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
A magazine, as the internals of a magazine move,
I count the magazine as 3 moving parts. The follower, the spring, and the magazine body.

Remember I'm counting everything that moves or is moved during loading and unloading as well as the actual firing cycle. And face it, the magazine IS a necessary part of a semi auto. The magazine is moved in and out of the gun during loading and reloading, therefore it is a "moving part" in the operation of the gun.

Likewise the cylinder latch of a DA revolver. It is operated (moved) during loading and unloading therefore it is also a moving part. And, like a magazine body, though it doesn't move during the firing cycle it does move during the operational cycle of the pistol and if it fails, your pistol is no longer operational.

Quote:
I've been shooting a lot of revolvers and a lot of semi auto pistols over the last 35+ years and in my experience, the failure rate is not that much different between them.
I've been shooting pistols since the late 60s, and my experience is different from yours, in that I found semi autos fail (of some kind) several times the rate that revolvers fail. No where near "about the same" failure rate.

The almost constant difference (there are exceptions) is that, USUALLY when a semi auto fails it can be cleared and returned to operability fairly rapidly, and often in the field and when a revolver fails its pretty much done until someone can do shop work on it. Usually.

SO far, about everyone I know or have talked to who has more than just a casual experience with both agrees that revolvers fail far less often than semis, but when they do fail they are more difficult to return to operation.

I am interested in hearing anyone's experience that is different from this, and why. And specifically DA revolvers and the 1911A1.

Yes, I'm expecting "amens" from the choir I'm preaching to, but I am listening for the sceptic or dissenter's voice, and why they feel differently.

Quote:
"...but not pins..." Try and fire any firearm without 'em. snicker.
I'm counting moving parts, including firing pins, but not pins that do not move and are only points of rotation for other parts. see your snicker and raise you a peanut butter cup!

Page generated in 0.03244 seconds with 8 queries