Thread: My first 1911
View Single Post
Old November 4, 2012, 08:49 PM   #13
Chowder

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm usually not very concerned about exactly what factory my guns are made in as long as they are from a reputable company but its nice to know the NM prefix can be a bit more desirable.

After one trip to the range today I have to say I understand what all the hype is about now with the 1911. I never thought any gun would contend with my Smith model 18 as being my favorite firearm to shoot. I almost exclusively shoot double action hand guns so it took me a few magazines to get used to a nice crisp single action trigger but the first time i pulled it I had a smile on my face. This is also the first .45 I have owned and have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the lack of recoil, It was more of a shove than a violent snap. I was a bit worried about recoil after having problems with my hands that required surgery.

Quote:
Very nice looking pistol. Does it have a full length guide rod? I havent got to finger a springfield 1911 before.
Yes it does have the full length guide rod. It is a bit of a pain to take down and reassemble but I'm sure that is due to me being new to 1911's.

Quote:
Get some lube on the slide and frame rails, the locking lugs and FLGR. Stainless steel galling is not too common these days, but no point in encouraging the possibility.
Thanks for the tips, I found a couple good videos on Youtube on proper cleaning and lubing of a 1911 which was a help. I'm used to my Glock not being very picky about lube and cleaning so I want to make sure I am taking car of this fine firearm properly.

Page generated in 0.03759 seconds with 8 queries