View Single Post
Old November 29, 2011, 03:40 AM   #37
DAS9mm

Quote:
DAS9mm,
I'm sorry if I inadvertently gave you the impression that I'm some sort of fringe,lunatic,survivalist with my post. It was NOT intended that way. What I said in the OP was that I would carry two firearms on deeper excursions primarily so that if one failed mechanically I would still have a working firearm for SD in case of bears, bad guys, etc.. I also asked about bear spray as I have no experience with it, but would certainly prefer discouraging the animal to shooting it. However, as I stated earlier, my son is often with me during these trips and I make no bones about this: Any potentially lethal threat to him will immediately be answered with deadly force regardless of circumstances or consequences. If you're a parent you'll understand this. I'd also like to add that the places I carry it is legal to do so. I intend to research bear spray, and if it seems viable will add it to my load-out. I will, however, continue to carry two firearms in these situations.

On a side note: I found your opening "war zone" comment to be a bit offensive. Although I will defend your right to speak your mind until my last breath. You, no doubt, have a wider range of backpacking experience than I do and have the absolute right to your opinion. I only ask that you allow me the same curtesy, as I have over thirty years of firearm experience, as well as several as a police officer.

sincerely, Bill
No offense intended, sorry. With all the brouhaha over the current OWS protests and OC spray, I heard one quote in the news stating the the National Parks service recommends OC spray over firearms as being a more potent method of stopping bears. And that would be the civilian concentrations, not LEO / military grade OC. I have not researched the validity of that statement. Unlike my wife, if it had been me tramping around Alaska, I probably would have carried a gun. But I think more because I like guns and I could than any other reason.

Page generated in 0.02680 seconds with 8 queries