Thread: 6x45 wildcat
View Single Post
Old December 7, 2020, 12:34 PM   #12
taylorce1

Is the 6X45 better than a .225/5.56 AR-15 for general use, varmint shooting, or target shooting? IMO not at all. Here is why, bullet selection and economy! There are far and away a lot more bullet selection for the .224 caliber suitable for the AR-15. Economy it's simply cheaper to reload or buy ammunition for. 6mm bullets are more expensive by a few pennies, and ammunition requires custom makers to get if you don't load your own.

Where the 6X45 or any larger caliber X45 wildcat shines above the 5.56/.223 is hunting situations for white tail deer and such. At ranges inside of 200 yards, they'll usually hit a little harder and leave better blood trails. If you're not going to go hunting with the cartridge, stick with the .223/5.56.

Quote:
i have a 6-47 in a rem 40xb(222 rem mag case necked up to 6mm) i like it
I have one as well, but it doesn't like heavy bullets. However, that's my fault I used a 1:12 twist because I got a deal on a barrel. It's a tack driver however with 55-70 grain bullets, and usually 200 fps faster than the same weight .223 at the muzzle.

I also have a 6X45 on a bolt gun with a 1:7 twist barrel so I can launch the long range stuff. You're still limited on COAL if you want to seat your bullets past mag length as to not eat up powder capacity, it also requires a custom throat. I'm finding 85 grain Sierra HPBT GK and 100 grain SPBT GK are what the cartridge is liking the best. 105 grain Nosler RDF and Berger VLD aren't shooting nearly as well.

The only reason I built the 6X45 and 6X47 was to be legal to hunt in Colorado, .243 is the smallest legal caliber in CO. That is also why I chose a bolt gun over an AR style rifle, I like to carry a bolt gun hunting. The reason I built a 6X45 over rebarreling my 6X47 to a faster twist, brass availability. That said if I rebarrel my 6X47 I'll proably go 6X204 to get an extra grain or two of powder capacity and it'll more than likely be a single shot only rifle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther
It's mostly a one-trick pony--but the sharp's 25-45 driving a 87 gr hot cor is quite the thing in a 5.56 case.
What's its one trick? I have a buddy who shoots this cartridge in a 20" AR. He loves it as well.

Page generated in 0.02298 seconds with 8 queries