View Single Post
Old November 29, 2013, 07:20 AM   #2
1stmar

Need advice-getting back into reloading

A couple of recommendations. Looks like you are trying to keep costs low. I would recommend used brass. With 45 pressures you will get many reloading a from them, if you don't over crimp you can easily get 10-15. Whatever brand you can get will be fine as long as you don't mix brands your accuracy potential should be high. The lighter the bullet the cheaper it will be, try 185gr lead swc. And for powder I use clays, not sure what charge you will need for 185 but for 250gr I am using 3.2gr. At 7000 grains per pound that's 2187 rounds per pound. Your charge will likely be different. I use winchester large pistol primers. You cannot use small pistol primers unless your brass is small pistol. The vast majority of 45acp is large pistol primers. You can clean brass with some soap and water, you don't need a tumbler. Buy small quantity of bullets up front to see what your pistols feed. I have a lee breach loader it will be fine for 45acp. You may be able to get brass cheap (free) at a public range. Initial investment would probably be :
$30 for press
$20 for dies (check ebay for used dies)
$40 for 500 rounds
$35 for primers
$30 for a pound of powder
?? For brass depending in where you get it. 45 is easy to come by

You'll need something to weigh the powder. You can use a lee dipper (not a fan myself but some use then exclusively)

Last edited by 1stmar; November 29, 2013 at 07:30 AM.

Page generated in 0.02955 seconds with 8 queries