View Single Post
Old December 15, 2013, 09:48 AM   #3
ritepath

My son surprised me with a request to go deer hunting when he was 6 three days before youth day. I didn't have anything youth sized, so we went out and bought a 410/22 combo. Only to find out there were no slugs to be found anywhere.
Leaving us the option of a BAR270 or a 308, neither even close to the weight and LOP a 6yo needs.

The only other option was my Sub 2000, so I took the reddot off my AR and installed on the 9. Sighted it in and let my son shoot it several times. I told him we had to have a deer within 25yds or we couldn't shoot. (+p PDX)

I managed to get him on a doe at 18-20 yards and he took an ok double lung shot. The deer traveled about 150 yards before expiring. It was basically like trailing a not so good a hit bow shot deer.

I picked him up a youth 7mm08 a few weeks later. The deer he took this season (third one with the 7mm08) went 10 yards.

While I wouldn't recommend shooting a deer sized animal with a 9mm it will work. You can always go for a neck shot, I've killed a few with a 22-250 with neck shots during doe season.

Page generated in 0.03352 seconds with 8 queries