View Single Post
Old February 22, 2013, 03:13 PM   #31
Gbro

Quote:
I think the "approach to weight" spring mentioned is merely a spring to reduce the chances of the beam bottoming out, too hard, when the pan is removed. The beam doesn't come near the "spring" unless the pan is removed and the beam drops all the way down to the "light" side...
No, that statement is totally wrong.
The approach to weight feature is an very useful function of a good scale in that it helps remove most of the beam weight when the beam is down and will cause the beam to respond gradually to the weight setting on the poise. without this feature it is hard, not impossible, to prevent overcharging the pan causing the need to start the process over.
Here is the instructions that come with the 10-10 scale.
This is the procedure i follow when i charge cases.
1. With scale set i use lee scoops to charge the pan below the actual weight by 2-3 grains <>
2. with my weighted powder trickler, i have the stem set to "chuck it back and forth to give me a rapid dispense into the scale pan and when the beam starts to rise i slow the chucking and stop as the beam indicator reaches the top of the triangle that indicates the approach to weight feature's assist is ending
3. I then slowly rotate the powder trickler stem to finish off the charge.
If for any reason i over charge the pan, i dump it out and start again, witch very rarely happens.
TBS, i rely very much on the function of this spring.

Page generated in 0.02369 seconds with 8 queries