Thread: GSG 1911 .22?
View Single Post
Old March 3, 2012, 09:09 PM   #17
Dino.

Quote:
I have a large container that I boil pasta in . . . it's made out of aluminum . . . but it really isn't a pan . . . it's more of a "pot" . . . does that make it "pot metal"???

For crying out loud . . . the GSG/Sig 1911-22 isn't a Colt 1911-A1 . . if it was, it would cost a heck of a lot more. Let's face it - Colt's new 1911-22 isn't an "all steel gun" either . . . nor is it made by Colt. These guns are a moderately priced 22 made to look like a 1911 . . and in the case of the GSG/Sig . . . something like 80% of the parts are supposed to be interchangeable with mil spec 1911 parts.

I'm 60 and it took a lot for me to buy a "plastic" gun a couple of years back when I got back in to shooting cartridge guns (always shot BP). But you know what, my Ruger SR9 is a great gun and a good shooter. I don't know why a lot of threads end up being "bashing" sessions or arguments over aluminum or pot metal or plastic . . but that seems to be the trend all of the time.

Obviously, some have had problems with the GSG/Sig 1911 -22 . . but what make and model hasn't had their problems? Whenever I buy a new or a used handgun or long arm, I examine it before laying my money down and before I shoot it, I clean it thoroughly and inspect it. I find it somewhat amazing and amusing that an individual would claim that the GSG/Sig was "unsafe". Obviously, they had a bad experience but then again, if the person felt it was unsafe, why didn't they recognize it when they were looking at it prior to purchase or cleaning prior to use? Hmmmmm . . . .

I've handled the GSG and will probably be picking one up in the next week or so if the dealer has one in stock. When I looked at them, I was impressed with them and found it to be fairly priced. Will it shoot like a "target model" - probably not but then it's not designed to. It's made for general use - target practice, punching paper, killing pop cans and possibly a varmint or two. Will it have "issues" . . . I hope not but then again, my new car needs fixing once in a while too. And no . . . I'm not going to fret and loose sleep thinking that it might blow up and kill me because it's made out of "pot metal" and not "steel".
Excellent post.

Page generated in 0.03157 seconds with 8 queries