View Single Post
Old March 16, 2009, 03:11 PM   #19
pitz96

"putting down" a dog

OK, I'll admit up till now, I've always taken my old sick or severely injured dogs to the vet to be euthanized. While I've culled newborn puppies that had birth defects, full grown dogs that have been my pals for years are another matter.

For those who shoot their own dogs, can I ask a really dumb question? Where in the head do you shoot? Head on with them looking at you (no way) or from behind, in the back of the head? Angle of shot? Honestly, I'd prefer doing the deed myself via .22 if I could be sure I'd shoot in just the right place to assure a quick clean kill, but I'd be upset if I messed up and am scared to try. Silly I guess, but there it is.

I have also to admit my shooting has been at targets rather than at animals, and my hunting has been limited to coursing jack rabbits with fast dogs (greyhounds etc.) so the dogs do the killing for me. Watching a sighthound or two work a jackrabbit or British hare is more interesting to me than just shooting the hare, as what I want to see is the contest between the dogs or between dog and hare. Still, I like reading about other people's hunting exploits, especially hog hunting with dogs: that must be a real rush!

Page generated in 0.03105 seconds with 8 queries