Thread: Pepper spray
View Single Post
Old September 12, 2005, 11:55 AM   #8
R1145

I'm not an attorney, but here is my personal opinion.

I think it is a good idea for a CCW carrier to carry pepper spray also (I almost never do, though...).

Peace officers carry a variety of force options. Any use of force has to be morally and legally justified. The minimum force to deal with the threat should be used. Force options are not necessarily sequential, i.e., you don't need to have used OC prior to using your firearm. Instead, you react to each situation as it develops, increasing or decreasing the level of force as appropriate.

You are not precluded from using your handgun if you carry pepper. Your use of a firearm in self defense will be based on the incident, and if you are justified in using lethal force in self defense, whether or not you had pepper probably won't be an issue.

Anything you do (or don't do) will be scrutinized when (not if) you get sued. Don't worry about it. Use common sense and discretion. Obey the law.

If you pepper someone, especially indoors, you are peppering yourself and your partner...

I peppered a dog yesterday on an enforcement contact. Worked good, didn't get bitten, didn't have to shoot the dog.

Page generated in 0.02463 seconds with 8 queries