View Single Post
Old November 1, 2022, 08:51 PM   #47
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoundFather View Post
Thanks, again, TruthTeller.

I rescued my .32's form the FLL. Here is a pitcture:

Attachment 115443

The Victor is blued and the Young America is nickel. They appear to be identical in size and very similar overall, but for the unfluted cylinder and round barrel on the Victor vs. fluted cylinder and octagon barrel on Young America. They are both five shot .32 S&W's although the Young America is apparently made for black powder ad the Victor smokeless.

I guess I am finally going to have start reloading, at least for this caliber. I have a lot to learn about that.

Can anyone tell me the best currently-in-production die set for .32 S&W? What, if anything, do I need to make a .32 S&W Long die set work for .32 S&W? An extended shell holder?

It looks like a lot of dies currently on the market can do .32 S&W Long, .32 H&R Mag, and .327 Federal Mag, but it is not clear if you can do .32 S&W on these sets. Is it possible with some addition?

If I could find a Lee Classic Loader in .32 S&W, that would be my preferred route, but they don't seem to have made those for many years. If anyone could point me to one, that would be appreciated.
They're in pretty decent condition too, congrats. Blued H&R's are the bomb, underrated bluing IMO for a revolver at the prices they sold for.

On reloading, I use Lee dies because they work and are cheap. For these revolvers you need not buy any die sets more expensive.

The Lee .32 ACP set is also for .32 S&W, but it will probably come with the .32 ACP shelholder not a .32 S&W, so if you get that one you should also get the necessary shellholder.

.32 S&W Long dies will work for .32 Mag and .327 Mag. The sizing die is the same for all the .32's that Lee makes, it's the expander, seater, and crimp dies that will be different.

I would get the .32 SW Lg 4 die set, that comes with the Lee factory crimp die and you will want that for wadcutters. You can get later a .32 ACP/S&W seater die as that also crimps and due to the short length you need the seater to be able to crimp the bullets if you ever bother to load .32 S&W to shoot in these revolvers.

I think using starting loads for .32 wadcutter is the best choice because these revolvers have large gaps and no throats, so the accuracy with the .32 wadcutters in .32 Long will be far better than .32 S&W.

I do not like Lee expansion dies for .32, they dont make the bullets seat squarely. I use the Lyman M die, it has worked very well for me and the nice thing is the .32 M die that Lyman makes will work for all .32's from ACP and S&W up to .327 Mag.

Last edited by TruthTellers; November 1, 2022 at 08:56 PM.

Page generated in 0.03263 seconds with 8 queries