View Single Post
Old July 25, 1999, 11:53 PM   #4
Rob Pincus

there is a phenomenon that I descirbe as "Experience through Exposure" that might come to play in both of the aforementioned writers works.

Several weeks ago a detective told me a funny story about a case he had worked. It revolved around the whereabouts of certain compromising pictures and an attractive female. His story was entertaining, but not important or really relevant to anything. I would've stored it away in my brain and promptly forgotten it completely....EXCEPT that about two weeks later that guy's supervisor told me a story about what happened when another detective got his hands on some compromising pictures during a case one time.. you guessed it, the same story, the same pictures, different guy.

The first Det. was in the room when I heard the "true" story adn I could tell that he was embarrased, but he never said anything, nor did I. But it will probably color every such story that I ever hear from that guy again, and he likely knows it.

It is a reletively harmless practice that I have seen a lot in LE/ Military/ Firearms circles.... I used to call it "Story Sharing", but E.T.E. syndrome is much more sophisticated.

Ever noticed just how many people have had deer walk out in front of the firing line while their Basic class was qualifying?

------------------
-Essayons

Page generated in 0.02215 seconds with 8 queries