View Single Post
Old July 28, 2012, 06:19 AM   #3
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Do they use the same buffer tubes?
No, no in every case. Normally a .308 platform AR well use a RE (collapsible stock) that's 1/2inch longer than the AR15 RE. Exception is the DPMS LR-308, it uses a AR15 RE with a shorter buffer. A2 RE's are the same length for both platforms.

Quote:
Do they use the same lower parts kits?
The FCG and safety are interchangeable as are most springs and detents. Pivot pin and take down pin are larger and the bolt catch and mag release can be proprietary between brands.

Quote:
Basically, which parts are interchangeable between the two, and what should I look out for or know, that will be different from my AR-15 build?
This FAQ well help you see the difference between the different platforms. The biggest different is the magazine, you have M14, G3, FAL, and SR-25. The SR-25 (Pmag) is the defacto standard, what ever you build it should be SR-25 unless you get a real good deal on another style. The different mags are very close in price and availability.

Barrel nuts are different between brands and effect what hand guard well fit. Some DPMS uppers have a"high" rail and DPMS uppers are extruded 6000 aluminum, the other brands are all forged 7175 or higher grade aluminum.

Not all .308 AR BCG's are the same quality, I do know that ArmaLite builds there AR10A&B BCG's using the AR-15 mil-spec for material, shoot peened 8620 carriers and C158 bolts.

Mega has a very nice upper/lower to build from, another I like is the new AXTS .308 lower.

Page generated in 0.02368 seconds with 8 queries