View Single Post
Old July 29, 2012, 09:58 PM   #20
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca
...I fully understand that precedent tells us civil rights have historically been subject to "reasonable" regulation. As a layman who grew up in the family of a professor of law, speaking English as my native language, I come back to the question of HOW the idea of any regulation whatsoever can be reconciled with the clear and unambiguous statement in the 2nd Amendment that the RKBA "shall not be infringed."...
Nonetheless, the reality is that the courts, on the basis of precedent, will be sustaining some regulation of the right to keep an bear arms. Perhaps one could imagine a place in the realm of Platonic ideals in which the right to keep and bear arms is entirely unregulated, and it might be possible to put forth all manner of fine philosophical arguments as to why that is the way things should be.

But the likelihood of anything like that actually coming to pass in the real world is vanishingly small.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper

Page generated in 0.02289 seconds with 8 queries