View Single Post
Old October 15, 2017, 04:08 PM   #39
fastbolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
... High round counts for civilians

Does anyone know of any documented cases of a civilian (CCW in particular) needing to fire a "high" number of rounds in a defensive encounter? I probably would define "high" here as "more than would fit in a commonly carried CCW weapon."

So let's just say "more than six" since I'd have to start somewhere. ...

Data is data. If it exists, I want to know about it. That's all this thread was supposed to be about.
Since there's no compelling reason for such data regarding "civilian" shootings to be accumulated, let alone carefully examined and vetted for some specific purpose, nor any "agency" tasked with collecting and collating such "civilian data", you're probably going to have to be satisfied with whatever minimal anecdotal info may be collected from news sources, second-hand/hearsay experiences, etc. Different instructors may collect and track such things from within their own student base, but that's only going to be available from the perspective of the participants and what's been passed along to the instructors.

If you're trying to determine whether there's some critical "minimum threshold" of handgun ammunition capacity that might exist, and which might be useful to influence individual choice in the selection of a handgun dedicated to that of a personal defensive weapon, you're probably going to be spending many of your leisure hours chasing down myriad rabbit holes.

These sort of questions haven't been definitely addressed and resolved for LE when it comes to service & off-duty weapons, and that's a field where no small amount of documented info has been accumulated over the years. There are still strong opinions, backed up by experience and expertise, for duty and off-duty handguns with ammunition capacities ranging from "low" to "high" ... and the beat goes on.

The question of "How much is enough?" for Training, Practice, Ammunition, Capacity & Caliber have yet to provide definitive "answers" that satisfy everyone.

If you're looking for a consistent "toolset or equipment" answer to such a question, you're may put yourself at risk for trying to put a mistaken amount of emphasis on the "tool", instead of "you", in any unexpected threat situation.

Even back when it wasn't uncommon to find someone carrying a rabbit's foot key chain charm in their pocket, I don't recall anyone asking whether they would be "luckier" if they carried more of them at a time.

Page generated in 0.03509 seconds with 8 queries